Sunday, August 29, 2010

One Year Ago Today








These are just a few of the images I shot a year ago during the Station Fire.  We were asked to evacuate early the next morning, but it turned out to be a goof-up of the reverse 911 system, but it was very scary nonetheless.  I will never forget the smell of the smoke; I think it will be a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life. We were extremely lucky (we are very thankful) there was no wind; it would have been a very different outcome for our little valley if there had been; however, many people were not as fortunate as we were.

We love our firefighters.

4 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Excellent photos!
I certainly do remember this too. I ventured over to the La Crescenta Women's Club for the Griffin Dyeworks workshop on a Saturday during the Station Fire. Ugh! It was raining ashes!!

farmlady said...

Isn't it different this year? Thanks to whatever powers that be, we have not had the threat of fire at all this summer.
I do remember the smell of smoke and the fear of seeing a glow in the sky at night. We have never been evacuated. That must be so scary.
Thanks for the reminder of how wind, or lack of it, a wet or dry season, and luck can make all the difference.
Makes you appreciate those firefighters doesn't it?

Pretty Things said...

My BIL is a firefighter, has been for years, and it's often a thankless job. Three cheers!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Just stopped by to say hello and to see how you are.
What an amazing post and pictures.
Glad things turned out the way they did for the you and the valley
Love
Maggie