Friday, June 27, 2008

Cross Stitch Love




Today I'm going to share two cross stitch projects - one finished, one in progress. The finished cross stitch project is a sampler from The Vanessa-Ann Collection ("Folk Tales, cross-stich from The Vanessa-Ann Collection"), whose designs I absolutely adore. Their designs are so whimsical and I love the colors that they choose - muted, soft, beautiful colors. I especially love the ones that include beads. I did this sampler way back in 1994 - I can't believe it's been that long ago. I remember stitching it and finishing while watching the U.S. Open Tennis Championships that year! What seems incredible to me now is that I was able to do it without wearing glasses, which is not an option now! I have it mounted in a wooden box that I display atop a chest of drawers in my bedroom. I had bought the box while going to school at CSUN at a great needlework store that unfortunately no longer exists.

My second cross stich project is about 3/4 of the way finished. It is "House Blessing" by Neddi Beltz from "Jo Sonja's Counted Designs", Book 2. This was one of the very first cross stitch books that I bought at Thumbelina Needlework Shop in Solvang, CA while on a day trip with my dear friend Carol. She is the one who got me started in cross stitch and I will be forever grateful. Most of the main stitching is done and then it's on to the outlining in backstitch. The fabric has a crease in it due to the fact that it was folded when packaged (I hate when that happens). I'm pretty sure I will be able to get it out. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to remove the crease? It will eventually be displayed in a wooden plate frame that I have for it. I'm still not sure where I will be displaying it, but I think I will put it in my dining room. This is one of those projects that I pick up from time-to-time and do some stitching on. I really need to sit down and finish it! I seem to always have more than a few different craft projects going on at the same time, but they all eventually get finished. What project(s) are you working on?

I hope you enjoy looking them. Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Jane said...

They look so lovely together, and I agree with you, the colours are fantastic. I usually find once it has been washed and ironed on a soft towel, the creasing has come out. Also as it's stretched to be mounted, I am sure there will be little evidence of the crease

susanc said...

Thank you for the compliment, miss 376. I am relieved to read that the creasing will come out - I was a little concerned! Thanks for leaving a comment - I always am thrilled to see when someone has read my blog and left a comment!

Deb said...

Glasses or no glasses, your handwork is excellent. Hope the crease problem gets resolved.
And thanks for posting the link info on my blog.